In our kids’ cooking series, children learn to cook by actually preparing the menu items themselves each day. Throughout the series, we will practice knife skills, working with savory and sweet doughs, searing proteins, and baking. At the end of each class, the kids enjoy the food they have prepared.
Sweet and Savory Pate Choux–kids will make pate choux dough and use it to make ham and cheese sandwiches and eclairs frosted with house-made chocolate ganache
Crème Brulée with Supervised Child-Bruléed Sugar Topping
AGES: This series is intended for children ages 7 or older. We teach basic culinary skills to the novice cook and provide those children with kitchen experience the opportunity to advance their skills and increase their confidence.
Parents welcome to come with child by registering for a separate ticket.
PRICING: $290 for entire 5-week series; $60 per individual class
We believe in learning by doing. In our cooking series, all classes are hands-on, and children eat what they each make.
We will teach the kids the following as appropriate for the menu being cooked each week:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling including how to wash food, and knife safety; temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby;
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups and measuring spoons and about measuring equivalents;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.