- This class has passed.
Children’s Fall 2022 Five Week Home School Cooking Series
Monday, September 12, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$300
In our cooking series, children learn to cook by actually preparing the menu items themselves each day, not by watching someone else cook. When children cook food, they are more likely to try what they have prepared. At the end of each class, the kids enjoy the food they have prepared.
SCHEDULE: Mondays: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
DATES: September 12, 19, 26, October 3, and 10
PRICING: $300 for entire 5-week series (sold as a series only)
AGES: This series is intended for children ages 7 or older. We teach basic culinary skills to the novice cook and provide those children with kitchen experience the opportunity to advance their skills and increase their confidence.
MENU FOR MONDAY FIVE WEEK SERIES:
Mexican Fiesta (Sept 12)
Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
Shredded Lettuce with Guacamole Dressing
Tres Leches Cake
Dinner from Scratch (Sept 19)
Homemade Caesar Salad with Kid-Made Dressing and Croutons
Creamy Garlic Chicken Breasts
Buttered Orzo Pasta
Oreo Dirt Cups
Sweet and Savory Baking (Sept 26)
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Beef Empanadas with From-Scratch Pie Dough
Strawberry Cake Pops
Italian Cuisine (Oct 3)
Fresh Berry Tiramisu
Some South for Your Mouth (Oct 10)
Chicken Fried Steak with a Gravy
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Baked S’mores Dip with Graham Crackers
We believe in learning by doing. In our cooking series, all classes are hands-on, and children eat what they each make.
We will teach the kids the following as appropriate for the menu being cooked each week:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling including how to wash food, and knife safety; temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby;
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups and measuring spoons and about measuring equivalents;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.