- This class has passed.
Children’s Winter 2022 Six Week Cooking Series for Home Schoolers
Monday, January 24, 11:00 am - 1:30 pm$320
In our cooking series, children learn to cook by actually preparing the menu items themselves each day, not by watching someone else cook while explaining how the recipe is prepared. When children cook food, they are more likely to try what they have prepared. At the end of each class, the kids enjoy the food they have prepared. Parents are welcome to cook with their children by purchasing a separate ticket.
SCHEDULE: Mondays: 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (2.5 hour class)
DATES: January 24, 31, February 7, 28, March 7, 21
PRICING: $320 for entire 6-week series or $55 per individual class.
AGES: The series is intended for kids ages 7 and above. Children of like ages are paired together unless friends or.
Please note: in order to ensure the maximum benefit for all children, your child must be capable of following directions and cooperating with others in the class.
MENU FOR SIX WEEK SERIES:
Week 1 (Jan 24) – Knife Skills and Kitchen Safety
Italian Chopped Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette
Chicken and Vegetable Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce
Bolzano Apple Cake
Week 2 (Jan 31) – International Street Food
Chicken Empanadas from Spain
Naan Bread from Asia
Loukamades – Honey Donut Balls from Greece
Week 3 (Feb 7) – Mostly Sweet Treats
Cake Pops Decorated with Sprinkles
S’More Cupcakes with a Gooey Center Surprise
Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze
Fried Mozzarella Sticks with a Twist
Week 4 (Feb 28) – Takeout Favorites
Mongolian Beef with Broccoli
Vegetable Fried Rice
Chinese Almond Cookies
Week 5 (Mar 7) – Backyard BBQ
Frito Pie with Seasoned Ground Meat
Hasselback Caprese Salad
Brownies with Chocolate Ganache Icing
Week 6 (Mar 21) – Disney-Inspired Cooking
Three-Cheese Grilled Cheese (Woody’s Lunchbox)
Totchos (Tater Tot Nachos from Woody’s Lunchbox)
Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing (Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano)
Mickey Mouse Rice Krispy Treats with Oreos and Dipped Chocolate Ears
CLICK TO READ COOKING SERIES POLICIES
We believe in learning by doing. In our cooking series, all classes are hands-on, and children eat what they each make.
We will teach the kids the following as appropriate for the menu being cooked each week:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling including how to wash food, and knife safety; temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby;
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups and measuring spoons and about measuring equivalents;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.