- This class has passed.
Children’s Late Fall Home School Cooking Series
Thursday, October 20, 9:30 am - 11:30 am$300
In our cooking series, children learn to cook by actually preparing the menu items themselves each day, not by watching someone else cook. When children cook food, they are more likely to try what they have prepared. At the end of each class, the kids enjoy the food they have prepared.
SCHEDULE: Thursdays: 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
DATES: October 20, 27, November 3, 10, and 17
PRICING: $300 for entire 5-week series (sold as a series only)
AGES: This series is intended for children ages 7 or older. We teach basic culinary skills to the novice cook and provide those children with kitchen experience the opportunity to advance their skills and increase their confidence.
MENU FOR CHILDREN’S FIVE WEEK SERIES:
Italian Pasta Dinner from Scratch (Oct 20)
Linguine Pasta from Scratch
Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze
Fall Baking Favorites (Oct 27)
Deep Dish Chicago-Style Pizza – from-scratch thick crust cradling layers of cheese, sausage, and thick and chunky tomato sauce
Crazy Monster Cupcakes with Kid-made Buttercream Frosting – create wild monsters using an assortment of edible decorations
Ohio Buckeyes – an irresistible peanut butter ball dipped in chocolate
Asian Small Plates (Nov 3)
Chicken Satay – marinated chicken skewers with creamy peanut sauce
Crab Rangoon – imitation crab and cream cheese-filled fried wontons served with sweet Thai chili sauce
Vegetarian Japchae – Korean stir-fried glass noodles with onion, bell peppers, spinach, and mushrooms in a delicious honey soy marinade
American Comfort Foods (Nov 10)
Creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder – loaded with chicken, potatoes, bell peppers, corn, and bacon
Macaroni and Cheese From Scratch – you’ll ban the box after eating this!
Crispy Zucchini Fritters with a Dollop of Sour Cream
Cookie Dough Dip Served with Graham Crackers
Thanksgiving Baking (Nov 17)
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites Topped with Maple BBQ Glaze
Apple Pie with with Kid-Made Pie Dough
No Bake Pumpkin Pie Truffles
CLICK TO READ COOKING SERIES POLICIES
We believe in learning by doing. In our cooking series, all classes are hands-on, and children eat what they each make.
We will teach the kids the following as appropriate for the menu being cooked each week:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling including how to wash food, and knife safety; temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby;
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups and measuring spoons and about measuring equivalents;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.