- This event has passed.
Children’s Fall 2021 Eight Week Eve Cooking Series
Monday, September 20, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm$175 – $350
In our cooking series, children learn to cook by actually preparing the menu items themselves each day, not by watching someone else cook while explaining how the recipe is prepared. When children cook food, they are more likely to try what they have prepared. At the end of each class, the kids enjoy the food they have prepared.
SCHEDULE: Mondays: 6 – 8 p.m.
DATES: September 20, 27, October 4, 11, 18, 25, November 1, 8
PRICING: $350 for entire 8-week series. If series does not sell out, individual classes will be available at $55 per class.
AGES: The series is intended for kids ages 7 and above. Children of like ages are paired together unless friends or.
Please note: in order to ensure the maximum benefit for all children, your child must be capable of following directions and cooperating with others in the class.
MENU FOR EIGHT WEEK SERIES
Week 1 (Sept 20): French Bistro Favorites
1. Grilled Chicken, Vegetable, and Cheese Crepes
2. Chocolate Souffle with Homemade Whipped Cream
Week 2 (Sept. 27): Baking Bonanza
1. Fisherman’s Pie with Kid-Made Pie Dough
2. Dreamy Lemon Raspberry Bars
Week 3 (Oct 4): South of the Border
1. Mexican Pizza with Ground Beef, Refried Beans, and Queso with Diced Tomato, Green Onion, Black Olive and Sour Cream Garnish
2. Cinnamon Sugar Ice Cream Sundaes with Kid-Made Chocolate Cups
Week 4 (Oct 11): Spaghetti and Meatballs from Scratch
1. Pasta Dough
2. Meatballs and Marinara Sauce
3. Italian Wedding Cookies
Week 5 (Oct 18): Football Fare
1. Bacon Cheese Sliders
2. Loaded Oven-Baked Potato Skins
3. Crudité with From-Scratch Ranch Dressing
Week 6 (Oct 25): Halloween Cookies & Snacks
1. Mummy Dogs with From-Scratch Pretzel Dough
2. No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
3. Halloween Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing and Sprinkles
Week 7 (Nov 1): Asian Cooking
1. Vegetable Pot-Stickers
2. Ginger Scallion Dipping Sauce
3. Lumpia with Ground Pork Filling
4. Fresh Fruit Summer Rolls with Kid-Made Chocolate Dipping Sauce
Week 8 (Nov 8): Flavors of Fall
1. Sausage and Cheddar Stuffed Kolache (yeast rolls)
2. Broccoli Cheese Soup
3. Rustic Apple Tart
We believe in learning by doing. In our cooking series, all classes are hands-on, and children eat what they each make.
We will teach the kids the following as appropriate for the menu being cooked each week:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling including how to wash food, and knife safety; temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby;
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups and measuring spoons and about measuring equivalents;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.