- This event has passed.
Kids Sweet & Savory Baking P.M. Camp Jul 8-12
July 8, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm$310
KIDS SWEET & SAVORY BAKING CAMP P.M. SESSION
Dates: July 8 through 12, Monday through Friday
Time: 2 – 5 p.m.
Our Sweet & Savory Baking camp allows up-and-coming chefs to learn the art of baking, including its challenges and tips for success from our chefs. We will create a delicious array of both sweet and savory foods.
Flat Bread with Choice of Herbs, Vegetables, and Cheese Toppings
Garlic Knots and Marinara Sauce
Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Icing
Chocolate Layer Cake for Decorating on Day 2
Savory Herbs and Cheese Muffins
Ham and Vegetable Quiche with From-Scratch Pie Dough
Learn to Decorate and Pipe Chocolate Layer Cake
Ham and Swiss Puff Pastry Cups
Chicken Pot Pie
Pate Choux (Pastry Dough)
Eclairs with Chocolate Ganache
Vegetable, Beef, and Cheese Empanadas
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs
Royal Icing (Learn to Decorate by Piping and Flooding)
Bake a Savory or Sweet Dish on Your Own
ABOUT JAX COOKING STUDIO SUMMER CAMPS
JAX Cooking Studio Summer Camps are sure to be a highlight of your child’s summer! We teach kids basic culinary skills while they work in teams to cook the day’s recipes. Each week, we feature a different camp theme, so your child can choose the most interesting topic. At the end of each day, campers eat the recipes they prepared. On Friday of each week, the kids show off the skills they have acquired by cooking their favorite recipe from the week or making their own recipe or creation. Although our chefs will be there to offer guidance, our goal is to allow the kids to work as independently in the kitchen as possible.
DISCOUNT FOR TWO CAMPS:
Registering for two camps? Save $10 off each camp (20 total) by entering Code “SummerCooking2” in the Promo Code (not Gift Certificate) box on the Checkout page.
Depending upon the camp selected, you can expect your child to learn some or all of the following in our hands-on classes:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling, including how to wash food; knife safety; and temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby (mise en place);
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups, measuring spoons, and kitchen scales;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.
AGES: The series is intended for kids ages 6 and above. In order to ensure the maximum benefit for all children, your child must be capable of following directions and cooperating with others in the class.
CLASS SIZE LIMIT: 16. Due to the level of individualized attention, we can accommodate only 16 children per session.
BENEFITS OF TEACHING YOUR CHILD TO COOK
1. Cooking is an important life skill that your child will use his/her entire life.
2. Working in teams, kids learn cooperation and respect for each other’s ideas.
3. They practice math as they measure ingredients and divvy up food.
4. They learn about the chemistry involved in cooking.
5. World cultures and geography are brought to life in a fun, contextual way while preparing recipes.
6. They learn that food need not be full of calories and fat to be delicious.
SEE ALL SUMMER CAMP SESSIONS
We look forward to cooking up some fun with your child this summer!