- This event has passed.
Kids Eight Week Evening Spring Cooking Series
Monday, February 3, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm$320
KIDS’ EIGHT WEEK EVENING SPRING COOKING SERIES
We believe in learning by doing. In our cooking series, all classes are extremely hands-on, and children eat what they make each day.
PRICING: $320 for entire 8-week series.
CLASSES IN SPRING SERIES:
Week 1: February 3—Pasta from Scratch (Pasta from Scratch, Parmesan Meatballs, Marinara Sauce)
Week 2: February 10—Valentine Cookies and Snacks (Raspberry Lindzer Cookies, Pink Love Fruit Skewers with Yogurt Dipping Sauce, Heart-shaped Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas)
Week 3: February 24—The Flavors of Spring (Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon, Risotto with Herbs and Vegetables, Chocolate Strawberry Tart)
Week 4: March 2—Sweet and Savory Pate Choux (Cream Puffs with Sweetened Whipped Cream, Eclairs with Pastry Cream and Chocolate Ganache, Three Cheese Gougere)
Week 5: March 16—Basic Focaccia Bread, Cheese Fondue, Pound Cake, Chocolate Fondue)
Week 6: March 23—Breakfast Bonanza (Cheesy Scrambled Eggs, Hash browns, Chocolate Chip Muffins)
Week 7: March 30—Cake Decorating (Kids Make Buttercream Frosting and Learn to Ice Cake and Pipe Decorations using House-made cakes)
Week 8: April 6—Calzone Party (Pizza Dough from Scratch, Seasoned Ground Beef, Assorted Veggies, and Marinara Sauce for Stuffing Calzones; Dessert Pizza)
Note: no class on February 17 (Presidents’ Day) or March 9 (DCPS Spring Break)
We will teach the kids the following:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling including how to wash food, and knife safety; temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby;
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups and measuring spoons and about measuring equivalents;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.
AGES: The series is intended for kids ages 6 and above. Children of like ages are paired together.
Please note: in order to ensure the maximum benefit for all children, your child must be capable of following directions and cooperating with others in the class.
CLASS SIZE LIMIT: 18. Due to the level of individualized attention, we can accommodate only 18 children per session.