- This event has passed.
Kids Culinary Overview P.M. Camp Jul 1, 2, 3, 5
July 1, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm$250
KIDS CULINARY OVERVIEW WITH EMPHASIS ON CHOCOLATE CAMP P.M. SESSION
Dates: July 1, 2, 3, & 5 through 12, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday (no class on Thursday, July 4)
Time: 2 – 5 p.m.
This camp teaches culinary basics and provides lots of hands-on cooking so your kids can develop the confidence they need to get creative in the kitchen. The young chefs will learn and practice a variety of culinary skills, including chopping, measuring, mixing, and baking. We will also discuss the different types of kitchen tools and their uses. In this camp, we will also learn about the versatility of using chocolate to flavor both savory and sweet dishes. The chef will share tips and tricks for working with chocolate to achieve a professional look on our finished products.
Roasted Chicken Mole
Seasoned White Rice
Sautéed Mixed Summer Vegetables
From Scratch Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs
Royal Icing (Learn to Pipe and Flood Cookies)
Grilled Hamburger Sliders with Chocolate BBQ Sauce
Chopped Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing
Baked Apple Pie
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Omelette with Meat, Cheese, and Vegetable Filling
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Stars and Stripes Tart with Pastry Cream and Fresh Summer Berries
No Class on Fourth of July
Marinated Vegetable Skewers
Fresh Buttery Garlic Knots
ABOUT JAX COOKING STUDIO SUMMER CAMPS
JAX Cooking Studio Summer Camps are sure to be a highlight of your child’s summer! We teach kids basic culinary skills while they work in teams to cook the day’s recipes. Each week, we feature a different camp theme, so your child can choose the most interesting topic. At the end of each day, campers eat the recipes they prepared. On Friday of each week, the kids show off the skills they have acquired by cooking their favorite recipe from the week or making their own recipe or creation. Although our chefs will be there to offer guidance, our goal is to allow the kids to work as independently in the kitchen as possible.
DISCOUNT FOR TWO CAMPS:
Registering for two camps? Save $10 off each camp (20 total) by entering Code “SummerCooking2” in the Promo Code (not Gift Certificate) box on the Checkout page.
Depending upon the camp selected, you can expect your child to learn some or all of the following in our hands-on classes:
1. how to be safe in the kitchen, including hand and workspace sanitizing, proper food handling, including how to wash food; knife safety; and temperature danger zone;
2. how to read and follow a recipe;
3. how to arrange the kitchen workplace so that all the items needed for the recipe are located and placed nearby (mise en place);
4. how to accurately measure ingredients using measuring cups, measuring spoons, and kitchen scales;
5. how to bake/roast, stew/braise, stir-fry, make sauces and soups;
6. the difference between whole and processed foods and how each affects health;
7. the importance of sustainability and eating what is in season;
8. how to reuse or repurpose ingredients already on hand; and
9. how to clean up the kitchen.
AGES: The series is intended for kids ages 6 and above. In order to ensure the maximum benefit for all children, your child must be capable of following directions and cooperating with others in the class.
CLASS SIZE LIMIT: 16. Due to the level of individualized attention, we can accommodate only 16 children per session.
BENEFITS OF TEACHING YOUR CHILD TO COOK
1. Cooking is an important life skill that your child will use his/her entire life.
2. Working in teams, kids learn cooperation and respect for each other’s ideas.
3. They practice math as they measure ingredients and divvy up food.
4. They learn about the chemistry involved in cooking.
5. World cultures and geography are brought to life in a fun, contextual way while preparing recipes.
6. They learn that food need not be full of calories and fat to be delicious.
SEE ALL SUMMER CAMP SESSIONS
We look forward to cooking up some fun with your child this summer!